Service Desk Analyst – 1st Line
The IT team are responsible for the management and development of the information systems that support the activities of significant stakeholders and VIP Level people as well as everyday users internally.
IT Support is provided on all aspects of the IT system serving over 1700 users in multiple locations, with standalone and travelling IT equipment used for State Visits and Royal Tours. The team also provides support for the commercial activities of Royal Collection Trust which includes retail and ticketing systems.
The IT systems are based on a Microsoft Active Directory Domain currently running Windows 2012R2 Servers on a virtualised platform. The desktop clients run Windows 7 running MS Office 2010, along with bespoke and commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) applications. Additionally, thin client access is provided using Citrix technology, and many users have secure laptops, mobile phones and Blackberry devices.
As part of IT, the Support Team is responsible for providing friendly and professional end-user technical support for all of the above services and activities, to all users, as well as assisting with application rollout as necessary.
Within the Support Team there are 8 System Support Officers who are responsible for providing exceptional customer IT support in an ITIL based support team.
About the role;
To provide client side and desktop support to all users of IT services, based on ITIL based support processes. To work as part of the IT team to deliver new projects and systems.
IT Support is provided Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm at Buckingham Palace and 9:00am to 5:30pm at St James’ Palace. The post holder is required to work Monday to Friday and join the on-call rota to provide support on Saturdays and Sundays and during public holidays. On occasions, they will be required to be present for specific events which may occur during weekends and / or evenings.
Although the post is based predominantly in central London, IT Support is provided at all Royal Residences, as such a flexible attitude to work is required. The role will involve some lifting of equipment (for example laser printers and monitors).
· Provide exceptional customer service by acting is the first point of contact for all users of the internal computer system
· Resolve support call incidents by telephone (1st line) or visit (2nd line) to the highest possible quality
· Undertake in-depth research to resolve incidents, and where necessary escalate to the Systems Support Supervisors, the IT Operations team or third parties (3rd line)
· Administer file permissions, application permissions, user accounts, email accounts and associated permissions for new and existing users and leavers, ensuring all request are dealt with in a timely manner
· Log and maintain a full and accurate record of support calls using call logging software as part of 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support duties
· Undertake front line investigative work and collate sufficient information to diagnose faults
· Promote good standards of IT practice throughout the user community, including user awareness regarding computer usage and security policies
· Undertake roll-out and installation support duties which include:
o installation and secure decommissioning of PCs, printers and other user hardware and software
o assistance during office moves with desktop relocation
o installation and upgrade of operating systems and applications
o setup and rollout of Blackberry and other portable devices
o setup of ticketing and retail systems to support the commercial activities of Royal Collection Trust
· Record all hardware and software additions and changes accurately within CMDB
· Clearly and accurately document new and update existing support processes and procedures
· Install, update and maintain the security software and applications on stand alone and travelling PCs and laptops
· Familiarisation of bespoke and standard software and provide ad-hoc desktop training and inductions as necessary in support of the IT Training team
· Undertake business continuity planning and testing plans as required
· Meet or exceed weekly KPI targets
· Create, prepare and deploy images and applications using approved imaging software
· Manage orders through their life cycle using the accounting system and submitting to line manager for approval
· Any other ad hoc duties as may be reasonably required
· To possess excellent customer service and communication skills
· To have the ability to relate to users at all levels of the organisation and remain calm under pressure as well as possess an ability to explain technical problems in an accessible way.
· To have a good general knowledge and use of the Microsoft Office 2013 suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Microsoft Windows 7
· To be methodical and accurate in your approach to problem solving
· To have computer and printer hardware maintenance skills
· To have experience of resolving PC and mobile phone technical problems, both software and hardware
· To possess good, clear documentation and recording skills
· To have basic knowledge of computer components, setting up a PC and computer terminology
· To have the ability to log calls using a computerised system and to undertake desktop application support
· To hold a full, clean UK driving licence
· To hold a qualification in IT desktop technical support
· Previous experience in an IT helpdesk or call centre environment
· To have an understanding of ITIL