Head of Cloud Engineering (×1)
Glasgow, UK Permanent GBP 90,000.00 to GBP 100,000.00
Senior IT, Development & Engineering role within the Computer Software / SaaS industry
About our client
At our client we believe that the best decisions are made when people understand the full picture. So our team created a new way to automatically search, review and manage information from public registries, credit bureaus, property/asset valuation sites and a growing range of trusted KYC data streams across the world.
Today our client has business centres in London, Glasgow, Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore and hosts the KYC SaaS platform in multiple data centres in London, Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore.
About the Role
The Head of Cloud Engineering is responsible for overseeing the architecture, technologies, operations and managerial aspects of our client’s Cloud Hosting. The role will own the company’s hosting requirements for all levels of customers. These levels include multi-tenanted instances for mid-tier customers and single tenanted “Private Cloud” environments for Tier 1 customers. Our client currently operates in AWS and IBM Bluemix, with the goal to support all major suppliers of Cloud Hosting Services within 2019. A strong requirement for this role is that the candidate is currently or has previously owned the Cloud Hosting function for a large SaaS based company with global rollout responsibilities. This role reports to the VP of Engineering and is responsible for planning, directing and designing all of our client’s cloud hosting delivery; with set goals for availability, scalability and security of the SaaS platform.
Responsibilities & Duties
• Responsible for the planning, roll out and day to day operations that support our client’s global SaaS Cloud Hosting requirements.
• Responsible for Our client’s Cloud architecture with “best practices” including the design and implementation of:
• ○ The use of virtualization and/or bare metal servers
• ○ Secure networks and internet access
• ○ Secure data processing and storage
• ○ Failover and recovery models
• ○ Scaling infrastructure to achieve company performance under load objectives.
• Responsible to manage Cloud Hosting resources and budgets, including Cloud Engineering staff, preferably staff numbers of 10+. • Participate in probation reviews and performance appraisals for team members.
• Recruit new staff for the team.
• Monitor Cloud Engineers work loads and plan and optimise resources.
• Track and report on group progress towards the Cloud Engineering objectives.
• Participate in Management meetings and reporting as directed.
Qualifications & Experience
• Operated in a senior role of equivalent responsibility within a large SaaS company operating a B2B solution.
• Managed Cloud Hosting in multiple cloud providers with experience preferably in two or more of Amazon Web Services,, IBM Bluemix, Microsoft Azure Cloud Platform or Google Cloud Platform.
• Managed the SaaS platform with global rollout responsibilities, across multiple locations.
• Responsibility for availability and performance of the SaaS platform with experience in both large data and high volume daily transactions (circa millions) and concurrent user access (circa thousands).
• Has owned the hosting responsibility with decisions on architecture, operational staff and budgets.
• 7+ years of infrastructure operations experience, specialising in Cloud Architecture.
• 5+ years leading or managing a SaaS based Cloud Operations team.
• Bachelor degree preferred.
• Prior experience as a Development Manager or Network Engineering Manager.
• Experience in designing highly secure networks, database and application server environments in a Cloud Hosted facility.
• Experience with file system clustering and replication.
• Experience with replicated database environments.
• Strong ability to document completely and accurately at all levels of solution implementation.
• Strong understanding of Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Computer Operations IT disciplines.
• Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for actions.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills.
• High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
• Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous initiatives.
• Strong at explaining technical information to non-technical people.
• Dealing with high-concurrency environments and the primitives used to manage them.
• Experience managing IT Operations teams (10+ engineers).
• Ability to identify talent to grow the team.
• Experience with Cloud Hosting billing.
• Preparing cost analysis reporting based on actual and expected usage.
• Act as SME for demand inquiries on our Cloud Platform including Private Cloud implementations.
• Strong business sense and be technical and analytical.
• Experienced at working with large data sets.
• Attention to detail and drive to make improvements.